Gethen Lortus (so far)
• Gethen Lortus is the 22nd grandson of the Kelesh Emperor and the 30th grandchild and somehow, he was his grandfather’s favorite.
• Gethen had 6 older brothers, like his father. He is the 7th son of a 7th son.
• Gethen is a handsome lad, as far as humans go, but he’s not solely human.
• His skin, while smooth, seems a little leathery.
• His eyes could only be described as stunning, as they were beautifully shaped, but each iris was two colors, mostly blue with a pie wedge of amber. His left eye is almost 50% amber
• Gethen’s parents are,
o Baltis, son of the Emperor and
o Pruline, a powerful sorcerer and daughter of a grand duke from Taldor.
• Despite a powerful magical lineage, Gethen did not display any magical ability until age 15
• Gethen’s magical abilities came as a complete surprise to everyone, including Gethen.
• At 14, Gethen was distracted from his studies by Cord. Cord was the then 17-year-old assistant to Gethen’s Tutor, Master Flint.
• Master Flint had taken in the orphaned Cord 10 years ago, when Cord’s parents, fellow scholars, had died in a bout of plague.
• Neither Flint nor Cord are nobles
• To Gethen, Cord was the most beautiful person he had ever seen.
• On his 15th birthday, Gethen decided to find out if Cord felt the same way he did.
• Gethen manufactured situations that left he and Cord alone, away from supervision and prying eyes.
• Once their feelings were known, Cord arranged overnight “study trip” to Absalom
• They were discovered in bed by Gethen’s father Baltis
• Baltis declared Cord would take 40 lashes with a whip in a public beating, which meant death
• Gethen confronted his father publicly. He also manifested magic by sending a message to the emperor
• The emperor stopped the public beating, stripped Baltis of his titles and lands took the boys back to the palace, and set them up to study and live in Magnimar
• Gethen and Cord currently live in Kaddren Villa, home of one founding families of Magnimar
• Gethen studied magic full time at the Stone of the Seers.
• He also used the time to learn more about his draconic and orcish lineage. During his studies, Gethen became a follower of Shelyn
• Now he has joined the PFS so he can put what he has learned to use in the real world.
• Gethen and Cord remain together and more in love than ever. Grandfather asks them in his correspondence if he should prepare the palace for a royal wedding.
• Cord found that living with the Kaddrens exposed him to many great houses that want a scholar and teacher on retainer to educate their children. Cord was the subject of a bidding war. He teaches the children of a high born family.
• Gethen wants the life that comes from adventuring, traveling, learning more about magic, and helping people in need, especially those who are abused for who they love.
• While Gethen loves his family, and is proud of his royal lineage, he tends to down play his connection to the Kelesh throne.
• While he will admit to being a part of the nobility, he rarely gives more detail.
• Gethen considers magic to be a gift that allowed him to save the life of his true love. But he has other gifts as well. Being raised in nobility he is well versed in the art of diplomacy.
• Using his diplomatic skills often seems more natural than using his magic, probably because he’s used those skills almost all of his life, while magic was relatively newer.